Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Letting go

Today I received some amazing news. In many ways, I already feel happier, lighter, and more excited about teaching. But this news also brings a challenge.

The choir directors have reworked how they are dividing the duties of making this large department function well. And as part of that, they decided that they need to cover the organizational stuff related to running the voice program (assigning students to teachers, masterclass day, solo and ensemble contest, all-state auditions, etc.) and just let me teach. The good news is that I was doing a lot of stressful work for the department without any monetary compensation and now I don't have to worry about it.

On the other hand, although some of the work was dumped on me, some I took on voluntarily to make teaching and learning here a more positive experience. I'm a little nervous about some of those details and how they will be dealt with in the future, but I'm also viewing it as a chance for me to learn to let go and trust.

The first two tests of my ability to let go will happen very soon. One of the reasons I agreed to do the assigning of students was so that I could make sure I had enough students. By the end of the second week, I'll know what is happening there.

The second test will be studio rotation. I've always made a rotation schedule so all the teachers get a chance at the good room and no one gives all their lessons in the tiny modules. I don't know if someone will take care of this or not. My guess is that it will be a free for all, kind of like this summer. If you're the 1st one here, you get the good space. It's actually a great motivator to get here early.

So, I've been doing this for over a decade and it's time to let go. Since I won't be organizing anything, my January through mid-April should be much nicer. I just have to prepare my students for all the performances those months. That I can do. And I think I will be even better at it without all the other stuff to stress me out.




-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment