Friday, August 20, 2010

Questions and answers about my studio

On the Music Teacher's Helper Forum, a teacher posted a list of questions in the introductions section. I spent some time coming up with answers and decided that I might as well use this as a blog post. His questions reminded me of a survey I was putting together last year to learn more about how other voice teachers teach and run their businesses. I'll post those questions and my own answers sometime in the future. For now, here are my answers to the questions on the MTH forum:

1. Your name (or remain anonymous).
Jeannine Robinett
www.jeanninerobinett.com

2. Instrument(s) taught and/or voice?
I used to teach piano and organ too, but now my studio has grown enough that I can focus on what I do best and love most--teaching voice.

3. Years of teaching experience? Your age?
I am 40 years old and have been teaching voice for 17 or 18 years.

4. Did you have formal teacher training?
I have B.M. and M.M. degrees in vocal performance and my course work for both included classes in vocal pedagogy. In addition, I started out as an elementary ed major and completed many of the required courses there before switching to music.

5. Typical high and low numbers of students during the year? Approximate number of hours spent teaching each week?
I teach between 60 and 100 students during the school year and about half that during the summer. When I have close to 100 students, it is usually because I am teaching several small groups (3-6 students sharing a lesson). I have 28-35 hours of student contact time per week during the school year.

6. Do you perform? If so, roughly what percentage of your musical income/time is spent performing vs. teaching?
I have not done much performing professionally in the last 10 years, but I am currently preparing a recital.

7. Do you teach music privately or are you an employee of a school (or both)? If teaching privately, do you use a home studio or rent elsewhere? If a school, what kind?
I am a private contractor that works in a public school. Technically I own my own business. The students pay me directly, but I teach at the school. Students leave their choir classes or study halls for lessons.

8. Do you have paid work other than music teaching? If so, What do you do? How much time do you spend teaching music compared with other work? Is this by necessity or preference?
With the exception of the occassional performance or adjudication, my income is entirely from teaching. I prefer this. Over the years I have been able to cut back on other work and also to condense my studio to one location and this has made my life much simpler and happier.

9. What are your rates? If you don’t mind, indicate the range of your monthly income from teaching music.
Tuition is $160 per quarter for half hour lessons which includes 7 lessons plus a studio class and/or recital. During the summer I charge $23 for half hour lessons and most students enrolled for summer take between 5 and 10 lessons.
Because most students pay quarterly, I have some months that are over $8,000 and some that are under $1,000. Since the size of my studio varies from year to year, the only way I can really figure out a monthly income is to add up the last year and divide by 12. It make my own personal budgeting rather complicated.

10. Do you limit what students you work with in terms of level, age, gender, style of music, etc.?
Although I do accept children, it is always on a trial basis. Generally I prefer to work with middle school aged students and older. I teach many styles, but reserve the right to "veto" any song a student brings in that is inappropipriate for them based on their age and vocal development. The foundation of what I teach is classical, and all my students receive some classical training even if it is only to compare it to other styles and techniques. I specialize in beginning and intermediate students, but also teach advanced and professional singers. If they need more than I feel that I can give them, I send them on to someone else.

11. Do you have student recitals? If so, how often? Are they encouraged or required of students?
I have a recital at the end of the school year plus an informal Holiday recital/party. Students also have the opportunity to perform at 3 studio classes held throughout the year. Performance is encouraged, but not required. However, studio classes and recitals are part of their tuition package and I don't give refunds if they choose not to participate.

12. Do you prepare students for competitions or auditions?
All my high school students are given the opportunity to sing at the district Solo and Ensemble Contest. Sometimes other competition or audition experiences are offered to students meeting the entrance requirements. I prepare students for choir auditions, musical auditions, and any other auditions for school related events.

13. Do you teach private students or classes or both?
Most of my lessons are private lessons, but through the school, I also offer 2 person lessons and small group lessons.

14. Do you coach ensembles? If so, how large?
At this time, I only work with small ensembles (duets, trios, etc.) in preparation for Contest.

15. Do you teach at music camps?
I'm not currently connected to any camps, but would love to do more of this. Contact me if you know of any good opportunities.

16. Best experience(s) with students?
The best experiences are when I see my students succeed. Sometimes it's a big success, but often it's just those little light bulb moments when you know they get it.

17. Worst experience that comes to mind?
Having to tell a talented student that really wanted to learn that I couldn't teach her anymore until her divorced parents figured out who was going to pay the $355 that they already owed me. Especially in cases like this, I wish I could teach for free, but then how would I pay my bills?

18. Funniest experience?
We laugh and have a good time in lessons, but for some reason, I can't think of any really funny experiences.

19. What is most rewarding to you about teaching?
Watching students grow. Even the little steps forward are exciting to me. Sometimes the most rewarding lessons are not the ones of the star students, but the ones where the kid finally sings a phrases matching all of the pitches correctly. I love teaching the kids that frustrate other teachers.

20. What is most challenging?
The most challenging aspect of teaching is dealing with the students and the parents that want instant miracles, that don't understand that learning to sing well takes time, effort, and patience.

21. Have you ever felt burnt out at any time, and if so, what did you do about it?
I lived in burnout mode for several years. For me, burnout was a result of overworking. Even if you love what you do, too much of it can kill you. Over the past 5 years or so, I voluntarily cut back giving up about $13,000 of income per year. Financially, life is a little trickier, but I feel better, and I am a better teacher. I've also invested my time and money in things that feed me, like conventions, continuing education classes, and Tai Chi classes.

22. Are you a member of a professional organization?
I am a member of NATS, ACDA, MTNA and MMTA.

23. Do you attend conferences, workshops, lessons or classes for your own professional development?
Absolutely! This year I attended 3 conferences/conventions. Yes, it's expensive, but it is so worth it.

24. When teaching, do you use published materials, your own materials, or both?
I use many of the same voice anthologies that most voice teachers use. I have a huge personal music library plus a lending library for students who cannot afford to purchase music. On my studio website, students can access numerous handouts that I have prepared on voice related topics.

25. Do you use recordings in teaching?
Yes, I have students listen to professional recordings and I also record students singing at their lessons and have them listen to it.

26. Do you advertise?
My advertising is minimal. At the beginning of the school year, I attend Open House and Orientation, and go to the choir classes to talk to students and their parents about lessons. I also let the teachers at our school plus the middle schools know when I have openings in case they have students that ask about lessons. My website might serve as advertising, but I haven't paid any fees to make sure that it comes up at the top of searches.


-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment