Friday, August 22, 2014

Today's Version of My Top 15 Most Beautiful Songs/Arias Ever Written

When I started this post months ago, it really was going to be just my top 10 favorites. But then there were just too many.  And then there were too many wonderful recordings of each song.  So this is more than 10 favorites, as sung by just a few of my favorite singers. They are in no particular order.  Making me rank them would just be cruel.

Nessun Dorma

Bjorling and Puccini!  Need I say more?


Casta Diva

This isn't my favorite recording of Monserrat Caballe singing this aria, but it's still pretty amazing.  Her decrescendo on the high note at 4:25 alone is worthy the two and a half minutes of applause that follow.


Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen



En priere


Here's another great recording.


An Chloris



Clair de lune



Morgen

For over 20 years, Elizabeth Schwartskopf's gorgeous high note on "wogenblauen" has been my ideal, that place I was working towards.  This summer I found it.


C


I had never heard of this singer, but I really like this performance.


Le Secret


And another


Die Nacht







Ave Maria 

This always gives me chills, and sometimes even tears.  Stunning!


Befreit



Die Stille Lotosblume



Mondnacht



Four Last Songs, especially Im Abendrot

I'm cheating and counting the set as 1 song. Here's Schwartzkopf sing all four songs.

Flagstad demonstrates why Strauss requested her for the premier.  This left me in tears.


And yes, I did listen to all of these again today.

No comments:

Post a Comment