Saturday, January 2, 2010

O Holy Night

For the last 10 years or so, I have been asked to sing "O Holy Night" at least once during the Christmas season. I appreciate the invitation since I don't do a lot of performing anymore, but at the same time, it adds stress to my already stressful December. Sometimes I think I should just say no, but then as I reflect on the experience later, I realize that singing this song is a very good thing and something that I need to continue doing. Here's what I've learned over the years.

1. It's not about me or how I sound. It is about what the listeners hear and feel. This year at one performance I totally skipped the second verse and didn't even know it for several phrases. My accompanist knew that I had skipped ahead, but couldn't find where I was. We ended up just having to stop and then start that section again. My younger self would have freaked out and left the meeting immediately after the song to avoid the embarassment of talking to people afterward. My calmer, more mature self didn't get thrown. The music that came after the mess up was just as beautiful as what came before. And although people noticed the problem (How could they not?)their comments afterward were genuinely positive. Even through my errors, they heard the message of the song and were touched by it.

2. Because this song does not naturally sit well in my voice and requires mega stamina, when I sing it I must focus on moving the phrases and letting the meaning color the tone. If I let it get too slow or heavy, or if I am just thinking technique, it is not a pleasant experience for me or the listeners. This year, I found some colors and dynamics that I have not been capable of previously.

3. The song continues to grow and improve the more I do it. As I just mentioned, this year I had a totally different approach to the colors and dynamics and I think it created a better sound. It was certainly more interesting for me.

4. As strage as it sounds, this song is actually a little easier a half step higher. In E flat, it just sits in the wrong place. I have to work it up half a step and then bring it back down while maintaining the lift I find in the higher key. Yes, I've considered just transposing it for the performance, but I'm almost always sick or recovering from illness when I have to sing this, and I just don't trust my B when I'm sick yet.

I survived another season with "O Holy Night". Will I do it again? Probably. It's not my best song, but it makes a difference in the lives of those that listen. So I guess I will continue to give them what they want and continue to find ways to make it easier for me.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I get asked to sing the same song quite a lot during the holidays, and it took many years for me to get to a place where I could sing it from the heart and not just the vocal chords. That was a truly spiritual experience. Thanks for sharing your experience and great input.

    ReplyDelete