Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Glenda Files: Online Edition

In grad school, I frequently wrote personal journal entries about my experiences with my voice teacher. I also began printing copies of our correspondence and putting them in what I called my "Glenda File". Yesterday, when I found out that she had died, for a second I thought that it was really time to close the Glenda Files.  But then I realized that I will never be time to close the files.  She will continue to be a presence in my life because of the things I learned from her.  So today, The Glenda Files move to my blog.  I won't be sharing previous entries, but I think it will be good for me to write about the things I have learned.  

The Glenda Files:  Online Edition--Entry 1.  
Yesterday shortly after I heard the news, I was helping a student to find a new song.  We were singing "Only Hope" and I got to the line that says, "At the top of my lungs I'm giving it back," and I had to fight back the tears.  Everyday in my teaching, I am giving it back and paying it forward.  Glenda lives on in every lesson that each of her students teach.  

This was my Facebook post yesterday:

When I first started grad school, I would sit in the library and listen to classical singers while I did my homework. It was a great way to multi-task. But there was one singer whose performances drew me in so much that I stopped everything else to listen. 
She was my teacher, my mentor, and my friend. I am a better singer, teacher, and person because of her influence. Glenda Maurice will be greatly missed.




No comments:

Post a Comment