Sunday, September 22, 2013

Guest post: Duets

Since I'm not teaching a lot of duets these days, Nicole Marschall has written a guest post to share some of her favorites duets and duet books.  Thanks, Nicole!

Are there other books or sheet music sources that you use for duets?  Please share.  



Treasures for Two, Andy Beck – This is my FAVORITE duet book for young singers.  Any voice combination.  Both parts have melody and harmony.  Favorites:  Who Has Seen the Wind?, Till the Stars fall from the sky, The Snow Begins to Fall, Remember Me and Benedictus.  My young women especially love these songs, very lyrical and beautiful melodies.
Standards For Two, Sally K. Albrecht  - Great jazz songs and jazz musical theatre songs with mid range songs, lots of harmony.    All duets can be m/m, f/f, or m/f.  Some of my favorites:  Button Up Your Overcoat, Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye, Friendship, When I Fall in Love
The Contemporary Singing Actor, Duets Edition – Many options of duets from contemporary musical theatre shows.  Some of my favorites:  For Good (Wicked), In His Eyes (Jekyll & Hyde), Who Will Love Me As I Am?  (Sideshow), I’ll Cover You (Rent), All I Ask of You (Phantom), I’d Give It All For You (Songs for a New World), The Last Night of the World (Miss Saigon), The Proposal (Titanic), Sun and Moon (Miss Saigon)
Classics for Two, Patrick M. Liebergen – A nice mix of well known classics.  Favorites include:  Laudamus te (Vivaldi), Pachelbel’s Canon of Peace, Panis Angelicus (Cesar Franck) and When at Night I Go to Sleep (Humperdinck)
Duet Album, Boosey & Hawkes – Great classical duets that are both well known and a bit more obscure.  Favorites – Die Schwestern (Brahms), Lost Is My Quiet (Purcell), Sound the Trumpet (Purcell), and Spring Wind (Eric Thiman)
American Folk Songs for Two, Andy Beck – I have just discovered this book and have not used it much yet.    Traditional folk songs arrangements include:  Go ‘Way from My Window, How Can I Keep from Singing?, Simple Gifts and The Water is Wide
Folk Songs for Two, Jay Althouse – Another of my favorite books for young singer duets.  Favorite arrangements include:  Poor Wayfaring Stranger, Scarborough Fair, Homeward Bound, Cindy and Shenandoah
The Singer’s Musical Theatre Anthology Duets Editions
Musical Theatre Anthology for Teens, Duets –Lots of great musical theatre duets, some songs are not duets in the actual production.  Some favorites:  My Favorite Things, It’s A Grand Night for Singing, Sisters)
Broadway for Two by Andy Beck & Brian Fisher – A great mix of duets!  Love this book!  A nice mix of contemporary and classic duets.
Duet sheets:  Ave Maria (Saint-Saens), La ci darem la mano (Don Giovanni), Sull’ aria (from The Marriage of Figaro), Via, resti servita, madama brillante (The Marriage of Figaro)

1 comment:

  1. I second the recommendation of Treasures for Two. I love these songs and so do my students. When I do teach duets for young students, this is the book I go to first. Folksongs for Two is a close second.


    I'm looking forward to exploring the other Andy Beck books, but I'm way over my spending limit for this year, so I'll have to wait to buy those.

    ReplyDelete