Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Practice Challenge week 4

Session #1

Today is just not a good vocal day.  I spent a lot more time warming up than usual, but I still can't get my high notes to loosen up.  On the plus side, it did make me pull out my Concone exercises and work more with flexibility.  After about 30 minutes of singing though, my voice is telling me it's done.  I guess I'll be working on my Czech with the diction CDs for the rest of my time.  10 minutes with the diction CDs.  Then listened to Pilar Lorengar (6:15) and Eva Urbanová (6:02).

I really the color of Pilar's voice in this. Gorgeous.

Also listened to these:
Gabriela Beňačková http://youtu.be/Qul0b3e631k
Luba Orgonášova https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHZ9ByM-EJ0
Milada Šubrtová https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YgeEKNVz8M
Love her too. And since she is Czech, this is a good one to work with.

About 30 minutes listening.  

I also want to listen to Kate Royal just because.

Total time for today: 60 minutes

Session #2

Our winner for this week is Bella Huerta.  My practice for today is based on her first day of practice for the week.  

Bella's goal:  Solidify words
Bella's strategies:  sing section with word trouble, buzz, hiss
Bella's time:  10 minutes.  

For this short session, I decided to work on "I am the Wind."  Because I only have a few minutes, I'm using the hiss and buzz as warm-ups, thinking about the words as I play the melody.  

Then I went back and sang each verse memorized.  The words were actually pretty easy. I had to stop and review a couple of notes and rhythms to make sure they were memorized too.  Then I went back and sang the whole song with accompaniment.  

Total time:  12 minutes.

Session #3 (Bella's second session)

Bella's goal:  breath control on French song
Bella's strategies:  buzz and hiss (also chose good breath places)
Bella's time:  18 minutes

Started with hissing on the tough sections of Frühling while playing the melody.  First I isolated the tough phrases.  When I was getting through those on hiss, I added a couple phrases before the tough one so I can work on the stamina and making sure I get a good breath going into the tough one.  I'm much more aware of the inhalation after buzzing. Then I repeated that on buzz.  I'm still struggling with getting through the last phrase (it's all one word, so I can't sneak a breath.)  It's fine if I isolate that phrase, but still pretty tough with the long phrases that come before it.  That last breath has to be a good one. Improving, but I still have some work to do.  Trying straws now to see if that is easier. Little straw is hard, but I do think it is helping.  The breath is definitely lasting longer. When I sing, I can now get through the last phrase when isolated, but when I start earlier in the song, I'm not quite making it yet.  

Overall, I'm happy with today's practice.  I was able to eliminate a few of the emergency breathing places creating longer more flowing lines.  

Total time:  20 minutes

Session #4 (Bella's third session) 

Bella's goal: practice words and melody
Bella's strategies: do sections at a time
Bella's time:  35 minutes

I've been sick (yes, a few days so sick that I didn't do anything) so I'm late finishing up this week's practice challenge.

I need to make myself do more of the Czech even though it is more challenging, so today is about words and notes on Song to the Moon.

I spent the first 15 minutes just listening to the diction lessons and recordings for the first two lines of text, which repeat and take me to m. 45 in the aria.

Today I am learning that I really need a Czech diction coach.  Yes, I can listen to the diction lessons and recordings of Czech singers, and read the IPA and instructions for how to make the sounds, but some of them are still really hard and I could use some feedback.  [ř] and [Ř] are really hard sounds for me to figure out.  The good news is that based on the recordings I've listened too, I'm not alone.  I've heard lots of different sounds for these.  

All the long phrases and good breath work from previous practices are totally going out the window as I work on getting these words right.  I'm trying not to worry about it.  It will get better as I get more confident.  

I worked with the recordings and did small chunks up to the 2nd chorus.  From there to the end, I definitely need to come back and work in more detail, but I did a couple of listens and faked my way through just so I could say I finished.  40 minutes.  

Total time today:  55 minutes

The difficulty I am having with the Czech is a great reminder to me to be patient with my students who are new to the languages that now are much easier for me.  I'm also thinking that if I can actually get this Czech, I'm ready to jump into some Russian, which I've wanted to do for years.  I just need to choose which songs I want to do and find some good recordings to work with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment