Thursday, August 8, 2013

Les Misérables in My Voice Studio

The recent movie, plus a touring company performance in the Twin Cities means that Les Misérables is even more popular than usual with students in my studio.  And I have mixed feelings about that.  I love the music.  There is just something about the music that just resonates with me.  (I have the same reaction with Miss Saigon, and what I've heard of Martin Guerre, and The Pirate Queen).  The students also really love the music which means they work harder to improve.

But...there is always a but...the music is not easy and often is beyond what the student can do well.  Most young voices are simply not ready to give what the music demands. For years, I have told students that I reserve the right to say that we cannot work on certain songs in voice lessons.  Sometimes I tell them that we can work on them as exercises, but they may not perform them yet, and possibly not at all while they study with me.

Because it's been so popular lately, I've used my veto power less.  Instead, I have reinforced the idea that we are working on important concepts, but the song will not be performance ready for a very long time.  A successful performance that honors the composer's intent, the music itself, AND shows that singer at his or her best might be years away.  Under these conditions, I've had some students make big progress.

One student really loves "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables".  In the key found in the vocal selections, it goes to a G, which this particular student has, but it is very strained.  I have the song a step lower in 2 other collections, so we've been working on freeing up the D, E, and F pitches in the lower key.  Although we've been addressing tension in those notes for a very long time in other songs, he has made tremendous progress while working on this song.

I have another student who asked to sing "Stars".  As written, it is totally wrong for him. He is a very low bass who has trouble getting to middle C without extreme tension.  But he insisted he could do the song and it was comfortable, so I had him sing it for me.  He sang it an octave low.  (Yes, he really does have those notes!)  But because it was so low, he was way too heavy and forceful on the lower pitches.  I let him sing it down there, but we talked a lot about finding an easy, free tone down there.  Then because I'm mean and cruel, I've had him work on the lower sections in the octave they are supposed to be sung in.  He's not totally happy about it, but that octave between middle C and the C below is becoming easier for him to sing.

One of my middle school boys wants to sing "Do You Hear the People Sing".  In the vocal selections, the range is simply too big for his mid-change voice.  He can sing the opening chorus easily, so we work that and then move on to other things.  The energy he brings to this is exactly what I want him to bring to other songs we are working on.

The girls at least have "Castle on a Cloud" which I am pretty much OK with letting anyone sing.  "On my Own" is more of a challenge, but again, I've had a few students that have amazed me with their willingness to work to improve because they love the song.  "I Dreamed a Dream" has a few places that are vocally difficult, but I think the challenge in this song actually lies in the interpretation.  A high school singer may be able to sing this, but as freshmen in high school, few have lost enough and had enough dreams killed to really understand it.

Yes, I am letting students sing Les Mis.  Yes, I'm even letting a few of them, mostly advanced seniors, perform these songs.  They can be done well by some high school students, but they can't be done well by every high school student, and therefore, I still reserve the right to say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment