Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Other Books in My Library

As I mentioned in a previous post, sometimes the right song for the student is not in a collection that contains other songs they will sing.  This is a list of some of the books in my Lending Library or books that I use as references for other keys.  I own multiples keys (and multiple copies) of some of these books.  The books listed here are not my complete collection, but those books that contain material that I might use with students high school age and younger.

General Anthologies


Classics for Solo Singers, Patrick Liebergen, Alfred

  • I love some of Liebergen's arrangements and editions, but there is not enough in this book that I want to work with to have a student purchase it.  My copies are lending library copies.  
  • High and low keys, with accompaniment CDs.  

Anthology of Spanish Song, HL

  • Many students today are taking Spanish in school and expands on the options they are given in other collections.   Many of the songs in these sets are appropriate for high school singers:   Edward Kileny's Mexican Folk Song Settings, Enrique Granados' Colección de tonadillas, and Manuel de Falla's Siete canciones populares españolas.
  • High and low keys.  If students are singing any of these songs from the Boytim collection, I have another option for key.  

Favorite German Art Songs, HL

  • High and Low keys, includes translations and IPA

Favorite French Art Songs Vol. 2, HL

  • High and low keys, IPA, translations, and diction lessons

The Art Song Anthology, HL

  • High and low keys, IPA, translations, and diction lessons
  • I have had a few advanced students buy this.  

Songs by 22 Americans, G. Schirmer

  • This was one of my first books for voice lessons.  
  • A few of these songs are in Boytim books, so this is a nice reference for other keys.  
  • A couple students have decided to purchase it after borrowing mine, but I rarely send people to buy this, simply because many of the songs won't work for high school students.  
  • High and low keys

15 American Art Songs

  • This is a collection that works better for high school students.  
  • It's so good, both of my copies disappeared this year, which is why I'm refining the check out process.  
  • High and low Keys with accompaniment CDs.  

Songs Through the Centuries

  • Some of my lending library copies were purchased at half.com for $1 plus shipping.  
  • Lots of good songs in this book, but I prefer to have students purchase other books.  
  • High and low keys

56 Songs You Like to Sing

  • Another older collection with several good songs, but not enough to justify purchase for most students.  

50 Art Songs from the Modern Repertoire

  • Another older collection with several good songs, but not enough to justify purchase for most students. 
Art Songs for School and Studio First Year

  • Another older collection with several good songs, but not enough to justify purchase for most students.  
  • Medium high and Medium low keys

Art Songs for School and Studio Second Year

  • Another older collection with several good songs, but not enough to justify purchase for most students.  
  • Medium high and Medium low keys

Expressive Singing

  • These books come in high, medium, and low keys
  • I actually love this collection and if it didn't cost so much, I would have students purchase it.  
  • I believe it is now out of print, but you can find them at half.com, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble.  
  • I like the third edition the best.  Our school library has the low and medium keys and I have purchased the high key.  The low and medium keys are on my wish list at half.com and I will get them when someone offers them for a relatively low price.  

Everybody's FavoritesFavorite Songs

  • These small songbooks are part of the Music Minus One series and come with accompaniments recorded by John Wustman.  
  • High and low keys for each book.  

Singable Songs for Studio and Recital

  • I picked up my first copies of this at used book stores.  It is an older book, but includes a few great songs that you don't see other places.  
  • Comes in high and low keys

Singer's Library of Song, Liebergen

  • This is actually a very good collection.  It's just pricier, so I don't usually have students buy it.
  • Another reason I don't send students to buy it often is that although the songs in the art songs/arias section are great literature, I don't see them all working for the same student.  
  • The folk song and spiritual arrangements work well for high school students.  
  • This comes in high, medium, and low keys, with or without CDs.  

Song Anthology One, Leyerle

  • This is another book that my first teacher had me buy.  
  • This was also one of the first collections I've seen to include word by word translations and IPA.  

55 Art Songs

  • The repertoire in this is great, but foreign language art songs are in English.  
  • I generally use this as a book to loan students for English language art songs.  


Great Art Songs of Three Centuries

  • Another older collection with several good songs, but not enough to justify purchase for most students. 
  • Comes in high and low keys




Single Composer Collections

The Arnold Book of Old Songs, Roger Quilter, B&H

  • These are some of my favorite folk song arrangements.  It is now available in 3 keys and with an accompaniment CD (for the high and low books).  I've had a few students purchase the book, but most students do only 1 or 2 songs, so I lend them my copy.  
The Songs of John Jacob Niles, G. Schirmer

  • Another collection of great songs, but not enough for a high school student to purchase.  I use these mostly as other key options for the J.J. Niles songs included in the Boytim books.  

Old American Songs, Aaron Copland, B& H

  • Available in High, Medium, and Low Keys without or without accompaniment CDs.  

13 songs for high voice and piano, and 11 Songs for Middle voice and Piano, Lee Hoiby, G. Schirmer

  • I have these books specifically for "Where the Music Comes From".  The other songs are good, but I haven't used them with high school students.  

4 songs, 8 songs, Richard Hundley, B&H

  • I have these books specifically for "Come Ready and See Me" A third key is available in the sixth edition of Basics of Singing.  Like the Hoiby, most songs in these books are ones that I would not use with high school students.  

Folksongs and Chanties, Celius Dougherty, G. Schirmer

  • Celius Dougherty's songs are also prominent in Joan Boytim's books, and I use these as alternate key options.  Although I really like the book, I don't see myself sending students to buy it anytime soon.  

Collected Songs, 65 Songs, Samuel Barber

  • There are only a few songs of Barber's that I would give to high school students, so having them borrow my music makes much more sense.  

36 Arie di stile antico, Dounady, Ricordi

  • Again, just a few songs here are appropriate for high school students.  

Complete Folksong Arrangements, Britten, B&H

  • Several good options for high school singers here, but if students have a limit on how much they can spend, I won't have them spend $30 just for the work of one composer.  

Songs of Travel, Ralph Vaughan Williams

  • Many of these are also included in the Boytim books and other collections.  I have both keys so I can find the best key for that particular student.  I can also loan these out if I want a student to a song that is not in the collection they own.  The men generally love these songs and they are especially good for young baritones. 


Class Voice texts (Again,  I NEVER buy class voice texts at full price.)  

Fundamentals of Singing, Charles E. Lindsley
  • I really like the folk songs arrangements in this book.  
Steps to Singing for Voice Class, Royal Stanton

Musical Theatre, Disney, and Popular styles
The Disney Princess Collection - Complete
The Disney Collection
Contemporary Theatre Songs Belter/Mezzo-soprano
Kids' Broadway Songbook
  • This is the book that I used to have kids buy, but now I have them get Broadway Songs for Kids which includes almost all of these, plus many other songs.  

The Sound of Music and other vocal selections books.
  • I have a huge library of vocal selection books, but I don't usually lend these out. I use them more often when a student already has one or is really into a certain show and wants to buy it.  Les Miserables is big right now, so I have several students singing from that.  Wicked is another student favorite, but with both these shows, I am very picky about which songs I let students work on.  Even then, I will sometimes let them work a song because the love it, but tell them that they can't perform it for a few years.  

The Bride's Guide to Wedding Music
Tunes for Teen's from Musicals--Young Women's Edition
The Broadway Ingenue
  • This is a great book for higher sopranos.  Obviously, it includes some of the best songs from the ingenue repertoire, but it often also has them in higher keys than are found in other collections or even in the original scores.  

The Actor's Songbook Women's Edition


Christmas  (Watch for a special blog post about some of these books in the fall.)

Christmas Solos for All Ages
I also own several large books of popular Christmas songs and carols.  I will list those in the blog about Christmas music.  

Duets  (Contact me if you would like to do a guest blog about duet repertoire for high school students.)

Treasures for Two
  • I use these first three books for the less experienced singers or singers who need "user friendly" songs.  Remember that I use "user friendly" to mean that kids that don't like classical music can still be talked into these.  
48 Duets

  • These 3 books are for the more advanced singers.  




No comments:

Post a Comment