Sunday, September 13, 2009

Practice Journal 9/13/09

Listened to several recordings of An die Nachtigall and worked on memorization. Also checked Holty's dates. He would not have known about Keats' "Ode" since he was dead before it was written.

I have an interesting recording of Kirsten Flagstad singing "An die Nachtigall". There are some quirky things that I don't really like, but I can't figure out if it is because of how the song fits (or doesn't fit) in her voice, or what. I think a lot of the vowels are not as lifted as I would like to hear. I have other recordings of her that I like more. I keep listening to this recording though, because even though I don't like some of what I hear, there are things I do like. Her tempo is a little slower than the other recordings I've listend to. I also like how she shapes some of the phrases and the longer notes. I love how she does "den Himmel". I also like how even though she takes the tempo slower she can get all the way through "und spend' im Nest der treuen Gattin Kusse" in one breath. Considering the opera rep she's famous for though, it's not surprising.

I also went to the school and practice for about an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment