Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Practice Journal 9/8/09

This morning I listened to six different performances of Die Mainacht as I did chores around the house. I'm very close to memorized with this. I think I've also figured out my concept for the piece. I can't wait to get over to the school and try it out. If it works, I'll tell you about it. The wonderful thing about interpretation is that there isn't just one "right" answer. Your interpretation may be different than mine, and my interpretation today may be different from the one I have 5 years from now. In fact, it should be different because of the different life experiences that we bring to music.

My practice session tonight was OK. I had errands to run, so I didn't get to the gym before practice. I think that really helped last night. I ended up working Die Mainacht in the low key tonight. I just couldn't get it loose in the high key. Then I worked a little An die Nachtigall and it didn't feel good in the regular key, so I took it a step higher. I definitely don't want to perform it in that key, but it got me above the trouble notes and it all flowed much better.

I put off working on these two songs because although I think that eventually they will really work well in my voice, these are the ones that really kick my butt technically. It's a challenge to know what is a problem because the song doesn't fit and what just needs more work. I really like these songs though, so I'm planning to really work and then get my coach's opinion when we meet next. I trust her ears completely.

I wish my students would learn that you have to do a little bit of work before I can tell how well the song will work. I'm getting better at choosing rep for my students and I'm choosing audition and contest music earlier, but if they don't practice, by the time they know it well enough to really sing it, it's too late to change if it's not a perfect fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment