Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Practice Journal 9/9/09

Awesome practice today. And...the singing was not good. Yes, it's possible to have successful practice even when you are in a lot of pain and dealing with a lot of tension.

When I started to sing tonight, I knew that I wasn't going to be able to work the technical stuff, so I decided to take a different route. Lip buzz was not as uncomfortable as singing, and if I really concentrated, I could even make it pretty relaxed. So I worked on shaping phrases using the buzz.

Then I sat down and played through Die Mainacht while buzzing. I'll be honest, I can't begin to imagine how someone really learns and explores the music completely without being able to play the piano. They must be much better at looking at the music and hearing it in their heads. That or they spend a lot of money on pianists.

Anyway...the long hard phrase was really easy when I was playing the piano and buzzing. There are several explanations for this, but I think these are the most important:
1. I shape the phrase more with the piano part and the motion of the piano carries me though.
2. Buzz helps you to use the air better.
3. Buzz also helps me to get in a better resonance place, and I think that was the big thing tonight. If I can place those vowels higher, I'm in a better resonance place and breath is not wasted.

I also started looking at images and symbols in Die Mainacht. There is some awesome stuff in this song, but I'm tired, so I'll save that for another post.

I knew I was getting tired and it was time to quit when I came up for the title of my Recital. I was looking at all the songs in all the sets for themes and came up with this--Night and Day, Home and Away, Let us Pray. Before you panic, I do realize that that is ridiculous and I'm not using it. Remember I said that figuring out the title was how I knew it was time to quit. I'm obviously a little too far gone tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment